After the Interview

 Hi!
Yesterday, I asked my model the interview questions from my previous blog post. her answers are provided down below.

1.  In the early years of your life, how was your hair styled?

"It was always styled into ponytails, pigtails, buns, or braids".

2. Who styled your hair and how did they manage your hair?

"My mom styled my hair and it was a lot for her to deal with, so she just tried to put it into ponytails or braids most of the time. Eventually she got tired of managing my hair so I started doing my own hair in  fifth grade".

3. What inspired you to transition into changing the way you managed your own hair?

" One day I got a natural blow out for my hair. When I washed it, I saw how damaged it was. My hair was curly in some areas, and thin in others. I was very eager to grow my hair out to cut it because I knew the damage was irreversible. My hair was falling out and I was incredibly disappointed. So one day I decided to cut it myself without my parents knowing"

4. How was the experience of changing your hair in the beginning of your journey?

"When I started to style my own hair, I experienced a lot of breakage. I was combing hair the wrong way and using fine tooth combs to brush out my hair. I did a lot of things wrong, but I did it because I didn't know how to properly manage it".

5. What emotions did you experience through the transition?

" I used to get frustrated when I saw my hair sometimes, but after I cut it, I used to feel okay knowing that it was growing back healthier."

6. What goals did you set in place for your hair and how did you achieve them?

" I wanted to take extra good care of my hair and I wanted it to look curly and healthy. I started watching Youtube videos, which led me to find out what my hair texture and porosity level was, as well as other important factors regarding hair

7. When did you realize your hair is how you wanted it to be and how did you feel?

"I don't think I ever got that realization. I'm still learning and my hair journey is still continuous."

8. How do you feel about your hair now? 

"I am in love with my hair now. My hair is a big part of my identity and it always will be."

 

After the interview, my model and I continued to discuss the importance of hair in our lives. It was a fulfilling and engaging conversation, so I aspire to produce a great magazine regarding this topic. 

Comments