Final Feature Article

 Hi!

    I did some editing to my feature article and below is the finished product. 

Growing up, Isis Stevenson never knew how to deal with her hair. Her mother always braided her hair, which was the most convenient solution for Isis’s thick, curly hair.  Managing her hair eventually grew to be a tiring chore for her mother to do, so in the fifth grade Stevenson acquired control of her own hair.

            In the beginning, it was difficult to keep up with her hair, which required delicacy and good care. Stevenson didn’t know the best way to manage her hair, so she indulged in simpler styles that didn’t require too much time or skill, like ponytails and buns. “ When I started to style my own hair, I experienced a lot of breakage. I was combing hair the wrong way and using fine tooth combs to brush out my hair”. It was a challenge to work with her hair and something had to change.

            One day, Isis’s mother took her to the hair salon for a natural blow out. A natural “blow out” consists of blow drying and flat ironing one’s hair. Unknowingly, the heat from the styling service impaired Stevenson’s gorgeous, full curly hair. When she washed her hair some time after the blow out, she saw what transpired. Her hair suddenly consisted of being frail, thick, curly, and straight all blended together in an unusual mixture . When Isis saw the damage done, she knew it wasn’t the same. “ I was very eager to grow my hair out to cut it because I knew the damage was irreversible. My hair was falling out and I was incredibly disappointed”.

            Filled with frustration, Stevenson spontaneously decided to cut her own hair one day, without her parents’ knowledge. Her hair’s length always reached her waist, but she wanted to cut off most of the damaged pieces, which led to her new length reaching right above her eyebrows.

            Although Stevenson was devastated about her new length, she eventually realized that cutting her hair helped her learn how to properly maintain her care. The new transition Stevenson embarked on made her committed to significant change. “ I started watching Youtube videos, which led me to find out what my hair texture and porosity level was, as well as other important factors regarding hair.”  Stevenson was determined to make a complete 180 degree change, and she did.

            The hair journey Isis Stevenson initiated created challenges with her self esteem, but seeing the gradual growth that was slow, but surely there, helped her feel at ease about her situation. She understands that she’s not exactly an expert in the grand world of hair, but she understands the wants and needs of her hair. She no longer struggles with styling her beautiful curls, instead she amplified them. “My hair is a big part of my identity and it always will be”.

 

 

Comments